Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Cancer Survivor

So as many of you know I had basal cell carcinoma on my forehead.
Today was surgery. The good news...I'm going to live.

This is on the way to the doctor's. We went to the Central Utah Clinic in Provo. The cancer spot is the red spot near my hairline on the right side of my forehead as you look at the picture.


He numbed the area, cut out a big ol' piece of my head, stitched me up, then sent me to a waiting room while he did some tests to see if he got all of it.


He missed a tiny sliver so he opened me back up, took it out, then closed me up for good. 

I'm making this picture BIG so you can see my stitches up close and personal. :) You're welcome.


I asked the nurse how many stitches there were. He said "a lot". It's true though, the doctor just kept stitching and stitching...mom said it was like a quilting bee. The raised scar will eventually flatten out. 


Look at me...still smiling. Even though I resemble Frankenstein now.

The doctor kept saying "you put this in a good place because it'll just blend in with your hairline."
Yeah I sure know how to pick a good spot for cancer. Planned that one perfectly.


Home and happy.

8 comments:

  1. Thats scary Rachel! Glad they got it all and you'll be fine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's kind of scary and pretty gross. hehe. Thanks for sharing. Glad you're ok. Miss you!

    Tracie Scheurer

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know pretty much (ok, exactly) what that's like. Welcome to the elite club: Al Pacino, Harry Potter, Simba's uncle, Harrison Ford, yourself, yours truly. 55% of the worlds coolest people.

    Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my Heck! You will have an awesome scar though!
    ps. I love you

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a trooper. Smiling through everything. Love it. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What the WHAT? When was the part about most of us knowing? I must have missed family prayer that night.
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could've done without that upclose shot. (Almost lost my late night cereal.) Yuck! The spot was not that big to begin with! Was the doctor nearsighted, or did he stitch up lots of surrounding skin and call it a face lift?! :)

    I'm so glad Jan had a look at it for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Evan says it looks good. And to keep it moist with lots of vaseline.

    Now when they play "I Never" and someone says "I've never had cancer!" you and me get to get up and switch seats. BCC Buddies!

    ReplyDelete